Tuesday, March 20, 2012

1+/60%/-2

Editors Note: I drop a swear word in this post. If you don't like it, don't continue reading. I told you this was going to be my thoughts...and today I had a swear word thought. 


Also, notice the dresser below that my dad and I put together last night...we love it!


Today Annie and I attended Prenatal Class...this was week one in what is a two-week crash course on everything there is to know about the actual birthing process...everything.

As I was sitting in the class (and I'll explain my post title momentarily), I was reaching for the words that would best describe how I am feeling.

I thought, "scared to death" doesn't quite explain how I am feeling. "Really scared" didn't quite do it justice either.

Just then, the teacher started talking about poop. She was talking about poop from the baby, the mother, and I even think the doctors poop during the process...from what it sounded like.

I thought, that's it.

The only person not pooping in this process might be me...because I am "scared shitless." :) That term seemed to sum up my feelings.

As she pulled out the needles for an epidural and explained that process and then followed it up with a video showcasing an epidural, the whole process hit me pretty hard.

I know what you're thinking..."you think it's hard on you, at least it's not your body." You're correct on one thing, it's not my body. But I can't do anything about that. I really can't change it.

Our teacher talked about how important it is for the husband to offer the proper type emotional support throughout the process...and that is what really hit me hard.

I hate seeing Annie in pain and I hate watching her go through difficult situations. I remember when she got her wisdom teeth out, and that was so hard to watch her be so uncomfortable. Clearly, I remember the two miscarriages and how brutal those were on her, physically and emotionally.

I certainly hope I was good emotional support during those times...but when it comes to this birthing process, I am scared. I want to be the best emotional support there is...and I hope I can be. (great tips from Dr. Reitzel for the expectant father, lol).

Having never done this before, I have no idea. But from the amount of importance and stress that the teacher put on being a good emotional supporter, I imagine that it's a valuable and important role in the birthing process. Part of being the best emotional supporter I can be is learning the lingo and the terminology.

So here I go...

1+/60%/-2 is an example of what the teacher said some lingo we may hear is. By the way, I hate math and on the surface it reeks of a math equation...but it's not. Phew.

1+ - the dilation of the cervix in centimeters. This is clearly in the beginning stages and en route to being a 10cm dilation. This 1+ dilation comes as part of the latent stage of labor (which by the way has nothing to do with the contractions and everything to do with the cervix).

60% - This is the effacement of the cervix, I believe. Editors note: I asked the teacher for a copy of her slides so that I can review the material, I may be off on some of this, please, all you mothers, correct me if I am. This has a lot to do with the thickness of something...crap, now I can't remember and I don't want to Google it.

-2 - This is where you are...I believe the correct terminology is -2 station...it basically is an indicator on the positioning of the baby in proximity to the cervix...I think.

It was an intense class...and it was only week 1. I caught a glimpse of her outline for next week's lesson and it involves watching a birth...and I am assuming that we will be watching it from the doctor's point of view...

And I'm assuming that I may still be scared shitless after watching...but I may not have time to think about that fear because I'll be drowning in my own vomit.

What a beautiful, natural thing this birth is.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle you are the most prepared father I know! Scott was so worried too but once I went into labor he naturally kicked into supportive cheerleader mode and just having you there is all Annie will need to help her through it. I know it is hard but try not to think about the (very scary) details. Just remember that once labor hits you'll be seeing that cute baby is just a few hours! P.S. at my hospital they made all dad's sit for the epidural. Also. Thy do a numbing shot before which is the most painful part but a much smaller needle :)

    ReplyDelete