Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Books and a Maherajah

I've highlighted several dads over the course of my blog--and each of them possess many qualities that I would like to have as a father--in six weeks...by the way...six weeks.

Of course, the dad that I have learned the most from is my very own dad. The dad I've sat and observed for 29 years is my very own dad. It's a cliche, but if I am half the dad he has been, I will consider myself successful.

I had never heard of a Maherajah water ski before until a couple of weeks ago. I don't do much boating and if you've ever seen me water ski you know I don't do much water skiing.

Editors Note: Ryan Thomas of the Orem 3rd Ward once told me that he never failed at getting someone up on water skis. He tried for about 45 minutes with me once when I was 14 and I never did get up and going. I'm pretty sure it's the only thing he's failed at. 


Clearly the water skiing gene has skipped a generation because from what I understand, my dad was quite the water skier. I've heard accounts of him rocking a slalom ski behind the boat on Lake Wildwood in Northern California. I've heard relatives say how great he looked on a water ski. He's a modest, humble man, and even he would admit that he was pretty good on a ski...so I know it's true.


But why, you may ask, have I never seen him water ski? Enter the Maherajah slalom ski that I recently learned about. Two weeks ago my dad and I flew to the Santa Rosa area to help my Aunt move. As we were moving some of her stuff to a storage unit, I saw my dad's eyes light up as he grabbed a beautiful Maherajah slalom ski from the shed area. We were moving things quick and were making some serious progress, but we took the time to admire the ski (pretty much exactly like the one pictured here, from the exotic line of skis...for whatever reason, that's the style).

I asked my dad about the ski and he told me that he used to have one just like it. I thought he was imagining some of the rides on that ski and so I asked him whatever happened to it. As he was carrying the ski to the moving truck, he told me that he sold it once we moved to Provo from Sacramento (when I was about four years old).

Curious, I asked why he sold it. He casually told me that he needed books while he was in college. I don't remember the exact price that he sold it for, but I know it was far less than what it was worth. And I know that it was far less than what the joy he must have experienced while riding it was worth.

However, like he always has had, his long-term vision proved correct. I think that given the opportunity to sell the ski a hundred more times in order to pay for books or help pay for tuition, he'd do it a hundred times out of a hundred.

He had greater things in mind. He had my sisters and me in mind. He had our futures in mind. He knew that long-term, WE needed an educated and employable dad more than HE needed a Maherajah slalom ski. I asked him about other things that he sold...and there were many other things on the list of items that helped my dad graduate and helped my sisters, mom, and me to ultimately have the life we have.

My dad has always had us in mind. I want to be that type of dad. I want to have that type of long-term vision and foresight.

When I think it can't get better, I think that throughout the entire experience of selling his stuff for school, my mom was right by his side. I don't know if they always agreed on everything--I would assume that they are a normal couple and didn't, but I know that they always showed solidarity.

I hope that Annie and I can have that type of solidarity. I hope that, as a father, I can possess some of the qualities that my own dad possesses.

But first, I need to learn to water ski.

No comments:

Post a Comment