Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mothers Day (No Apostrophe on Purpose)


A mother has many distinct and unique attributes and abilities that no one else can duplicate or replace. 

A mother can be nurturing, kind, sympathetic, a teacher, a disciplinarian, a friend, a corrector, a life-navigator or just someone to call, text or email about random subjects. 

My mother embodies all of those characteristics and a myriad of ones I left off the list as well. Along with recognizing my dear mother for all of her hard work over the last 30 years, I thought it appropriate to recognize ALL the mothers in my life--hence the reason I left the apostrophe off in the blog title--so, Happy Mothers (plural) Day! The following are the mothers in my life (in no particular order):

My Mom, Kimmy Sue: Throughout my life, I've counted on my mom for laughs, hugs, smiles, kisses, support, etc. In all of my years playing baseball, I don't recall a game that didn't feature my mom in the stands...yelling, barking, cheering or even crying out of sadness, happiness or fear of any injury I suffered. She'll never know what all those moments I looked up and saw her sitting there meant to me, but suffice it to say, those moments are invaluable. 


I once wrote a blogpost as a tribute to Yolo County's greatest export--my mom--and I stand by those words today. Now that I've had the chance to watch her operate as a mother while also operating as a grandmother, I've learned just how valuable she is to my family. I've learned so much from her and I'm forever grateful for her. While I've certainly done wrong in my life, I know that there is one mind out there--my mom's--that I've never done wrong in, and that's the way a mother should be. So, thank you mom. I love you. 

Etta's Mom, Annie May: I talked to Etta on the phone the other night and I asked her what her thoughts were about her mommy. She responded by yelling at me, laughing at me, smiling at me, and then throwing her toys at the phone. After some rough translating, I realized that what she was trying to say is that Annie is the greatest mom in the world and that she (Etta) is so very fortunate to have her. 

I'll never forget the day we found out we had lost the second pregnancy at about eight weeks along. I'll never forget Annie in that doctor's room. I'll never forget the pain I could see a mother going through. And when juxtaposed with the look on Annie's face when she first held Etta, I know now that her love as a mother is stronger than all the pain and grief that she's faced before. She has her Etta and she slipped into mother mode right away and hasn't looked back since. 

Etta and I have a special bond, no doubt about it. And we love hanging out together all the time. But when I observe Annie and Etta, I know there is something extremely special there. Etta responds to Annie. Etta respects Annie. Etta turns to Annie in sad times. And I don't blame Etta one bit. 

While mothering Etta, Annie has, on occasion, mothered me. And while sometimes I react like a child, she continues to love me like a mother continues to love her stupid child. I'm forever grateful for her motherly impact in my life. So, thank you Annie May. I love you. 

Marie Stott: It seems appropriate to mention my very very very good friend, Marie Stott, since she literally just became a mother for the third time last week to another adorable little girl--this time named Molly. Molly is a very lucky girl because she gets to be with Cora and Penny as siblings, Pete as a dad, and especially with Marie as her mommy. 

Marie has been mothering me before mothering me was cool and popular. She's stood up for me, defended me, criticized me, advised me, and never dated me--all things a good mom does. I've asked Marie for advice on many occasions and I'll continue to do so. So, while she may not have a biological son, she's got me. So, thank you Marie. I love you. 

Robin Strong: I'm so lucky to have a mother-in-law like Robin. She's one of the kindest and accepting people that I've ever met. It brings me so much comfort to see that Annie is becoming just like her mother. Robin is so strong and so loving. I love watching the patience she exudes when talking to or interacting with her four grandchildren. It's clear that they all have a special place in her heart. 

I'll forever be grateful for Robin letting me into their home and family. She is the perfect mother-in-law--because she knows when to mother and when not to mother. I'm sure she's wanted to step in so many times and mother me...I don't blame her. So, thank you Robin. I love you. 

The Work Girls: Oh, the work girls--as they've affectionately become known as in my life. ALL of the work girls in my life, in that little cubicle space, have meant so much to me. While we joke that I've always had three or four extra mothers in my life because of the work girls, it's absolutely true, and I'm grateful for all of them. 

Fe
w people have had as much patience when dealing with me in long stretches of hours, days, weeks, months or years as the work girls. What they don't quite understand all the time is just how much their perception and opinion of me means to me. I hope they realize how much I respect and appreciate them, in all of their motherly ways. I'm forever grateful for taking my current job because it gave me a chance to meet all of them and have them all in my life. So, thank you work girls. Love you ladies!

Karissa Kay and Kaity Cole: These girls have 28 and 24 years experience respectively in mothering me. In fact, aside from my own mother, these two girls have had the longest running career as a mother of mine. Karissa has always kept me on track and helped me with perspective. One of my favorite stories involving Karissa's motherly approach to my life came when I fell off a cinderblock wall and into a pyrocanthem bush--literally trapped by sharp thorns and sticks all around me. At the tender age of 10 I was trapped and hurt. As I landed in the bush, I exclaimed "oh crap!" My motherly sister Karissa (then eight years old) was brought to tears. But she wasn't brought to tears because of my injuries. She was brought to tears because I said "crap", a bad word in our house at that time. Rather than helping me out of the bush, motherly Karissa yelled "I'm telling!" and ditched me in the bush to go tell our mom that I said a bad word. 

Kaitlyn's motherly impact on me has meant so much as well. She's been a little bit more of a silent motherly example to me than Karissa, but just as important. She's taught me so much without every directly sitting down and teaching me. She's one of the most amazing examples I've seen of someone who is caring and nurturing and loving. She does amazing work with troubled people and has so many goals and aspirations to continue helping people. She's an amazing person. And I'll forever silently observe her as one of the foremost examples in my life. So, thank you sisters. I love you.

Sisters (In-Law): Growing up, I always wanted an older sister. So, it's been fun to have Annie's sisters in my life...to fill that role of older sister!

They are both mothers themselves to adorable little boys that I love so much! But they've been mothers to me as well in a way--they've had that motherly impact. I love watching them teach and interact with their children, who are 3 years old (Millie's twin boys) and five months (Sarah's little fella) old. It's been fun to watch them talk to those three because I notice similarities in the way they talk to me or have talked to me in the past...a tribute to their consistency when dealing with children's minds. So, thank you sisters-in-law. I love you. 

I'm so grateful for all the mothers in my life. I'm a better person for knowing every single one of you. I hope you never stop mothering me and putting me on the course of life you think is appropriate and best. 

Happy Mothers Day everyone. I love you all. 




No comments:

Post a Comment